- This event has passed.
Créole Culture Day (with Schedule)
June 12, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
The public can enjoy a FREE FESTIVAL at Vermilionville for the 20th annual Creole Culture Celebration on Sunday, June 12, 2022 from 10AM – 5PM. We’ll celebrate with live music, cooking demonstrations, juré performances, storytelling, kids’ crafts, art, museum, and photography exhibits, Zydeco dance lessons, genealogy experts, traiteur garden tours, documentaries, and much more!
Every year, Vermilionville celebrates the cultures of Acadiana that contributed so much to our unique folklife. Come to Vermilionville June 12 for our Creole Culture Day event! On this day we recognize and honor our region’s Creole heritage. So much of our food, traditions, and music comes to our region from the Creole culture, and on this day we demonstrate and celebrate its many contributions to our contemporary folklife.
- 10:00 Herb Green percussion to start the day
- 10:30 Cedric Watson and Bijou Creole
- 1:00 The Richard J. Catalon Creole Heritage Award
- 1:30 Gospel Music Presentation by Francis Leblanc
- 2:00 – 5pm Wayne Singleton & Same Ol’ 2 Step
- Storytellers Billy Francis and Howard Ledet
- Inventions by Creole exhibit
- Performances and Poetry by Daphne Thomas and Alex Poetic-Soul Johnson
- Genealogy in South Louisiana with Alex Lee
- The Paintings of Revina Amos, and the Photography of Joe Walker
- Traditional Open-hearth Cooking with Ivy Lemieux
- Crafts for the kids
- A Zydeco jam session that is open for all!
- Tours of the historic Broussard home
- Cooking demonstrations by Deloris Sais and LA Greedy Krystal Moses, and others